Suffering from prostatitis, ear infection and bronchitis. Tested negative for HIV and diabetes. Solution?

Hi there - I have two conditions that my local doctor is currently trying to heal simultaneously and one seems to aggravate the other, which makes it very frustrating to try to cure these.

I started with prostatitis in March and my urologist put me on Bactrim...cleared it up fine. From March to XXXXXXX I was on 4 different rounds of antibiotics for different things...ear infection, bronchitis, random stuff, and most were also Bactrim.

The prostatitis came back in early July and I was put on yet another round of Bactrim. It all came from different doctors...ENT, urologist, etc, and I never thought to mention it because I didn't know that it could cause a brutal case of thrush. I got it both oral and penile fairly bad. It has been difficult to clear.

I've been on Nystatin and Diflucan which is fine, except that I'm also still trying to clear up the 2nd flare up of prostatitis with, of course, more antibiotics. The antibiotics seem to be keeping the thrush from clearing up. We tried Cipro simultaneously with the antifungals and it didn't do much for me. So now, of course, I'm back to trying Bactrim as last night. This morning, the thrush had come back full force after being almost gone and we're back at square one after three weeks.

Any thoughts on the best way to get these both cleared up? It seems like it almost can't be done to clear them up at the same time. It feel like the thrush has made its way into my throat now which is not fun to experience.

My doctor tested me for all of the extreme possibilities such as HIV and diabetes just to be safe...all clear. No fever. Taking probiotics to try and offset what's being done by the Bactrim.

I apologize for the long message but this has been a tough 3 weeks to try to clear both of these up. Any ideas and in depth analysis would be so much appreciated.

Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 32 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, prostatitis is term used to describe prostate inflammation(-itis), four types of prostatitis are acute bacterial , chronic bacterial , chronic prostatitis without infection, asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis. Chronic bacterial prostatitis (like yours) is an uncommon illness in which there is an ongoing bacterial infection in the prostate. Chronic bacterial prostatitis generally causes no symptoms, however, on occasion; the low grade infection may flare and be associated with a bladder infection. The treatment is with long-term antibiotics, up to eight weeks. Even with appropriate therapy, this type of prostatitis can recur. It is uncertain as to why, but it may be due to a poorly emptying bladder. A small amount of stagnant urine allows the potential for recurrent infection to occur. This situation can be caused by benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), bladder stones, or prostate stones. Hence, will recommend to get diagnosed of any underlying cause and have plenty of fluids to flush the system. Thrush usually develops suddenly, but it may become chronic, persisting over a long period of time. A common sign of thrush is the presence of creamy white (as in your case). In severe cases, the lesions may spread into your esophagus, or swallowing tube, causing pain or difficulty swallowing, fever, if the infection spreads beyond the esophagus. This happens more often with cancer, HIV, or other conditions that weaken the immune system. Antifungal medications, which are generally taken for 10 to 14 days, are often prescribed to treat thrush. Limit the amount of sugar and yeast-containing foods you eat. Follow good hygiene practices. If you smoke, kindly quit and recommend to see your clinician to evaluate all other associated causes. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks