Suffering from post-natal depression. Have weight gain, hair loss, hand tremors and fatigue. Any ideas?

Hi, I'm 35 yr old female. 5ft 2 in, 10 stone in weight. I have over the past several months been experiencing weight gain, hair loss, hand tremors, hunger, light headiness, fatigue. I have been on citalopram for 18months for post-natal depression. Any ideas ?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting you question.

A lot of these symptoms point to your thyroid gland. Some suggest over-activity like hand tremors and hunger; others suggest under activity like hair loss and weight gain. In any case your thyroid function tests (TFT) is the first thing that needs checking out. But that is only the start of it. You need to see a doctor now.

I am no fan of the SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) antidepressant (Citalopram) and never prescribe them because of their many side effects. Having said that I do not believe that we can ascribe any of your symptoms to this medication.

I would suggest you consult Endocrinologist who can evaluate you clinically and with lab tests.

Hope, this answers your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.