Suffering from post herpes neuralgia on face. Tongue feels burnt and no taste. Suggest medication?

I am suffering from post herpes (on left side of the face effecting facial nerve of that side) neuralgia for the last 18 months or so. My tounge feels like burnt in the left side & nothing spicy or even saalty is tolerable. What drug should I take & in what dosage frequency etc.?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic
You are suffering from a condition called post herpetic neuralgia.

As you developed Stevens XXXXXXX disease to Carbamazepine, never take carbamazepine ever again and you should also avoid drugs in the group of carbamazepine which includes Phenytoin and Phenobarbitone.

I will advice you to start Gabapentin 600 mg once in the morning. Along with that you may start Amitryptyline 25 mg at night. The combination of these is proven to be better than each alone.
I will also recommend you to take Vitamin C tablets 500mg twice a day.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.