Suffering from pneumonia with feeling of body heaviness and fatigue. Safe to travel?

Jan 2013

I have had intermittent chills, fever, and cough since early November. The fever and cough became worse, with a feeling of body heaviness and fatigue. I was diagnosed yesterday with pneumonia and was started on antibiotics. My holiday plans are to drive by myself five hours to a friend today and take a three hour flight tomorrow. A doctor friend thinks that's fine if I want to do it. The doc who diagnosed me said no travel for a few days. I'm confused. I am 64 years old. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

As you are suffering from pneumonia with feeling of body heaviness and fatigue, its better to take strict bed rest.
Pneumonia could be managed at home by antibiotics or at times admission may be required.
Any type of stress at this moment of time may cause worsening of your health.
You should take prescribed medications properly and get in touch with your treating doctor.
Clinical improvement is seen within 2-3 days and radiological improvement is seen 5-7 days after start of medications.
Once you start feeling better with disappearance of all symptoms, then you can plan your holidays.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava