Suffering from piles. Getting severe pain in rectum. Is it safe to go for surgery?

My wife is suffering from piles since last 12-14 years. It was not so severe earlier; some occasional bleeding for few days in six or eight months. But now a days(since last couple of months) she is suffering severe pain in rectum(no bleeding). We consulted one surgeon and he advised for surgery. He also mentioned there are two options a) usual surgery(take time to go back to normal life) b) Advanced option(steppled surgery?)(less painful and early recovery).
I am looking for few sggessions
1. Is surgery only option? Is it a permanent cure?
2. Is this advanced option(steppled) is good in all sense?

Thanks for your suggessions and comments!!
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Hello Dear,

Piles is the dilatation of venous plexus in rectum. They enlargement and complications are graded.

In grade 1 piles, where discomfort is not much, medical management in the form of stool softeners can be used. However this is just temporary and the piles are bound to grow to next grade where sclerotherapy, that is injecting chemicals in the vein to obliterate it may be used.

For the final grade surgery is the only treatment modality. I presume it to be final grade hence the doctor suggests surgery. In other words I can say surgery is the best and permanent mode of treatment and she suffers from so many years.

There are conventional surgeries where the dilated vein (pile) is sutured. This is painful and needs anal packing for few days.

In the stapler surgery, instead of sutures a surgical stapler is used. It is less painful and and allows the patient to return to work immediately after the piles surgery. The patient also can do the normal activities immediately after the surgery.

In my opinion, I would advice you to go with doctor.

Thank you
Follow-up: Suffering from piles. Getting severe pain in rectum. Is it safe to go for surgery? 1 hour later
Dear Dr,
Thanks for your response.

Just few additional in formations I need,

Is the effectiveness of both the surgeries are the same?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 minutes later
Thanks for the query,

The effectiveness of stapler surgery is much better, as the piles can be better approached using a stapler.

In conventional surgery, suture has to be inserted inside, hence it is difficult and chances of slippage of ligature are there.

Hope i answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any other doubt.

Thank you.