Suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Taking manohexy, pipra and valporil. Why am I having hand tremors?

Dec 2014

I am a patient suffering from paranoid schizophrenia taking SupraBenz 1 - 0 -- 1
Manohexy 1 - 0 - 0
Pipra 30 0 - 0 - 1
Valporil CR 300 0 - 0 - 1
I face only one problem of hand tremors Escitapax 10 0 - 0 - 1
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a 51 year old male suffering from Schizophrenia and you are currently on
Suprabenz or etizolam twice daily
Manohexy or Trihexyphenidyl once daily
Pipra or Aripiprazole 30 once in night
Valprin or Sodium Valporate 300 one in night
Escitalopram 10 in night

You are other wise stable since last 10 years and on current prescription since last 3 years. Currently you are having symptoms of hand tremors.

The tremors you are having in hands are occurring due to Extra Pyramidal Side effects. You are taking Aripiprazole 30 mg daily. It is a second generation antipsychotic drug. It is a safe drug and has very few metabolic side effects. Although rare but extrapyramidal side effects may be observed with aripiprazole at high doses.
Extrapyramidal side effects as Tremors in hands, salivation, poor facial expression, restlessness or akathesia are seen. These are specifically called as Parkinsonia side effects. Tremors are also observed with valporate but at 300 mg they are not common.

To prevent these side effects usually medicines like Manohexy are given along with antipsychotics. You are currently taking one tablet daily. Please consult with your psychiatrist and start taking it in morning and afternoon doses (twice daily). It will improve tremors.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)
Follow-up: Suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Taking manohexy, pipra and valporil. Why am I having hand tremors? 8 hours later
Will accupressure help me in any way?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Hello again

No acupressure will not help you in this symptom but it can help you in relaxation. Dose modification and anti cholinesterase drug like Trihemyphenidyl (THP) is must to correct the tremors of Extra pyramidal syndrome.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD