Suffering from panic attacks, stress, low iron, weight loss and sore throat. What treatment should be done?

I am a General Anxiety sufferer - huge panic attacks & stress, low iron & weight loss ( all being taken care of by the doctor ) I am not on medication for anxiety as I chose to not take that route. The last few weeks I have had left neck ache- muscle strain. Hayfever. A few days ago my throat felt dry and sore and I woke up with left side pain at the front of my throat & to the back of my neck on & off. I feel a little run down & white tongue- but no cold symptoms or phelpm. The left side of the throat I can not see anything, but it feels sore or strained to the front of my neck. I have had hot & cold shivers but not sure if this is panic attacks. I can swallow and breathe well so far. I am very worried & having anxiety attacks over this, because when reading online there is things like Quinsy, ( last year without doing any other medical exam, my doctor said I could have one & gave me antibiotics. Following that I had a 3 week chest infection ). I read Cancer, carotid artery. Please can you advice. I am agrophobic at the moment - so anything related to the doctor or hospital sends me into pure panic. And of course everything u read online says the worst case scenerio. As you can tell I have worked myself up!

Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in subsubspecialty of cardiology.
What you have is you have correctly diagnosed general anxiety. It is because reading as you rightly said XXXXXXX Worst Case Sceniorios" from net, every one of us who had been medical student remember their third year while doing graduation. Net was not there but text books were and we would read about a disease and feel that symotoms feel just the right.
Remedy is not to avoid using net if you have time. Two topics which I will strongly recommend use net to find the good effect of general and yogic exercises. In fact the yogic exercise which I have choosen for you I have taken English translation which is available in net. Try these two you will feel better and without drugs your anxiety will be releived to a large extent.

Physicak Exercise: Brisk walk at the speed of 5 KM/Hr for 40 minutes per day every day is enough aerobic exercise you need for keeping your heart healthy. Exercise help in secretion of pleasure producing hormones within the body endorphins which produce calmness and euphoria.

Now about stress. Please do this yogic exercise for ten minutes twice a day. will write about the progressive muscular relaxation which is used for non pharmacological treatment of blood pressure. This has opposite effect to heavy isometric exercise. Additionally, this is a great stress buster. It is called Savasana: corpse pose if literally translated (original text is in ancient Sanskrit books but here net is of great help and literal English translation conveys the accurate steps)

No yoga session is complete without the final pose – Savasana. The body needs this time to understand the new information it has received through practicing yoga. Even though Savasana is a resting pose, it’s not the same a sleeping! You should stay present and aware during the five to ten minute duration of final relaxation.
used help of WWW.WWWW.WW for translation (without permission as it is a translation of freely available text in Sanskrit and Hindi)

1. Come to lie down on the back.

2. Let the feet fall out to either side.

3. Bring the arms alongside the body, but slightly separated from the body, and turn the palms to face upwards.

4. Relax the whole body, including the face. Let the body feel heavy.

5. Let the breath occur naturally.

6. To come out, first begin to the deepen the breath. Then move the fingers and toes, awakening the body.

7. Bring the knees into the chest and roll over to one side, keep the eyes closed.

8. Slowly bring yourself back up into a sitting position.

Here are some ideas on ways to use props during savasana to make this pose more comfortable and relaxing. Progressive muscle relaxation it produces even help patients of high blood pressure. So, I picked up not exactly the worst case scenerio form the net.

If there is any further query I will be most happy to answer asap. It is a pleasure interacting with you.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Suffering from panic attacks, stress, low iron, weight loss and sore throat. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
Thank you for that.

Even though I have anxiety and panic I do feel generally unwell. Sore left side thyroid and lower throat pain.
A mild fever and fatigue.
I wondered if it was anything I could get tests for? Perhaps thyroid/ iron/ adrenal glands.
I saw a nutritionist who suggested I would probably need tests above.

What do u think?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 24 minutes later
My friend you do not need any test right now. Please try both physical and mental exercise/relaxation for 15 days with all sincerity. If you feel still unwell go ahead and get yourself tested for all or any of tests you know or get out of internet. This is not a challenge but that really means something is definitely wrong. Good luck.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW