Suffering from panic attack. Any treatment?

i have panice attack
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 42 minutes later
Hi there
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
If you have been diagnosed with panic attacks in the past and are familiar with the signs and symptoms, the following techniques may help you to stop the attack. You may also try these tips for overcoming the symptoms of a panic attack.

First, relax your shoulders and become conscious of any tension that you may be feeling in your muscles.

Then, with gentle reassurance, progressively tense and relax all the large muscle groups. Tighten your left leg while taking a XXXXXXX breath in, for example, hold it, then release the leg muscles and the breath. Move on to the other leg. Move up the body, one muscle group at a time.

Slow down your breathing. This may best be done by blowing out every breath through pursed lips as if blowing out a candle. Also, place your hands on your stomach to feel the rapidity of your breathing. This may allow you to further control your symptoms.

Tell yourself that you are not "going crazy." If you are concerned about not being able to breathe, remember that if you are able to talk, you are able to breathe. If you are not sure that you can handle it ask for help and be taken to a doctor. If it is too late for an appointment request someone to take you to ER. It will be of help if previous records are also taken along with. Unless, you have been advised specifically to do so and there is someone with you who can stay and you have the medicines take a tablet. But that is not my primary advice. Self Medication is never a good thing.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW