Suffering from pain in lower back and rib area and constipation. Ultrasound done. Worrisome

44 male, caucasian, lower back pain since 1 month, believed to be stress related at the time. Since two weeks, constipation with discomfort and dull pain just below false rib area of abdomen right side. Taking senokot and ativan and pain manageable. Hours after eating, lower back pain, right side pain comes back. Have ultrasound this morning to be done of abdomen. I am very worried. No blood in stool as test revealed last week. I am very worried.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

The description of pain seems more to be stress related, as you have been told rightly, I believe. As you do not have any other symptoms like weight loss, low appetite, GI bleed, and stool occult blood negative, it is unlikely to be of any serious cause.

I think a normal ultrasound will be able to reassure you.

I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best wishes.