Suffering from pain due to L5 and S1 disc problem. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 51 years old male, suffering from serious pain due to L5 and S1 disc problem. this problem is from last couple of months and I ignoring and draging it due to busy working schedule. I am in pain almos always now from last couple of weeks, I get pain during sleep, including in my writ joints, ankle joints, hip bones and also there is a numbnus in the ankle and writ joints and even in shoulder joints. I am scared of surgery. Got MRI done. Can I get recovered with excercise or physitherapy, if yes how to go ahead about it.Regards XXXXXXX from Delhi India.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Your symptoms and MRI are suggestive of having a disc prolapse. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from pain due to L5 and S1 disc problem. How to get relief? 7 minutes later
No reply has come with regard to numbnus feelings. You are directing me to orthopaedic doctor, where i am looking for excercise which I can start doing myself at home.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The numbness that you are having is due to the nerve compression caused by the disc problem. The physiotherapy and methylcobalamin supplements will help in taking care of these.
It is not advisable to start exercising on your own without the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist. You will need guidance regarding the degree of stress your spine can take.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Suffering from pain due to L5 and S1 disc problem. How to get relief? 8 minutes later
Kindly mention what should I say means name of problem to physiotherapist and can you recommend anyone near paschim vihar / XXXXXXX puri / janakpuri / punjabi bagh areas of New Delhi ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 hours later
It would be best if you get the recommendations regarding the physiotherapy exercises needed and the physiotherapist from your treating orthopedician as he would be knowing all the physiotherapists available in the surrounding area.