Suffering from osteoarthritis. Pain in back and shoulders, giddiness, palpitation. Symptoms due to vitamin deficiency?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my mother is suffering from osteoarthritis for last 15years and her knee and back is affected by it and experience a lot of pain in her knees and shoulders. She has a frozen shoulder and feels very weak most of the time during the day. Complains of giddiness and her body becomes stiff when she is not doing any activity. For last one year she is unable to walk or move around and is on wheel chair currently. She is unable to move her left hand and her leg and hands fingers are twisting (overlapping above each other), and her grip is also very poor now. Sometimes complain of palpitation and at time feels her entire body is pulling her inside.
Her diet is very less. Lastly when ever we try to move her body or make her do some exercise she starts belching.
Recently have got her Vitamin test done and fond that her D3 and B12 are insufficient and attached is the reports for the same. Please suggest what should I do for the deficiency and does this deficiency got anything to do with her above symptoms.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later

Kindly do answer a few queries for me to be in better position to guide you to manage the problems.

Has your mother's affected parts of the body been X-rayed? Was there any other problem detected on X-ray?

Is your mother on any medication?

Does your mother have stomach pain, gas formation, vomiting, diarrhea, any heart problems or kidney problems?

Is your mother suffering from high blood pressure or diabetes?

I have reviewed the history and attached reports. Her clinical condition is consistent with low Vitamin D3 and quite possibly associated low calcium levels as well. Due to low calcium levels, her nerves and muscles would be weak and this can also explain her overlapping fingers which occur frequently. This is called Trousseau's phenomenon seen in patients with low calcium in blood.

Due to the extreme weakness she is unable to move around, poor grip and power also. The pulling sensation in the body can also be attributed to this condition.

There are some conditions which can cause all these problems. Due to lack of nutritious diet, she will be having much possible deficiency of essential nutrients and vitamins. It is extremely important for her to consume balanced diet, which is also XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Add Ragi, nuts soya bean to her diet which will replenish protein and calcium and improve strength.

A few more tests may be necessary like kidney function tests, hormone tests for Parathyroid function, electrolyte levels in blood etc.

Osteoarthritis is a lifestyle disorder. It can be aggravated due to weight gain, obesity, sedentary lifestyle. Avoid fatty, oily food, junk food, colas, alcohol. She needs to do moderate slow walking exercises everyday to reduce her weight and also improve mobility. Proper medication is also important for pain control like NSAIDs, sometimes steroid infection for frozen shoulder and osteoarthritic joints are immensely helpful to reduce the pain and immobility. Kindly do discuss this option with her Orthopedician. Also once a year injection of Alendronate will help put back the calcium into her bones and make them stronger.

Kindly do respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Suffering from osteoarthritis. Pain in back and shoulders, giddiness, palpitation. Symptoms due to vitamin deficiency? 1 hour later
Dear Dr.,

Firstly thanks for the prompt response.
We had got her X-Ray, and mri done 4yrs ago. She is not diabetic , but suffers from low BP. We are not giving her any alopathic medicine, but treating her with alternate medicines like Homeopathy/ Ayurvedic.
Please see the Vitamin Reports and suggest me what is the suitable medicine to give her to overcome the deficiency problem.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Her reports suggest a deficiency of vitamin D3 and vitamin B12. For dealing with vitamin D deficiency, she can use tablet Shelcal 500 mg twice daily after meals. For vitamin B12 deficiency, she can take tablet Neurobion twice or thrice a day after meals
I would also suggest that you consult an orthopaedician and a rheumatologist for effective control of pain.
Her bones will be very thin and weak. She needs high calcium diet like milk, eggs, nuts, ragi etc. Daily slow walking for 20 minutes with exposure to sunlight is necessary to make calcium and strengthen her bones. This will also reduce the bone pain and weakness in long run.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wishing you and your family good health.