Suffering from occasional breathing with weakness. Developed depression and no physical ailments. Suggest?

My wife is suffering from occassional breathing trouble along with weakness.Of late she has also developed a depression on account of the persisting problem. Our family physicain has referred her to a clinical psyschologist stating that there is no physical ailments. Though the session has just commenced, but we are in a doubt as to whether the breathing problem & weakness can be related to any psychological problem. She continues to suffer from weakness & breathing related disorders which is hampering her normal work. I want a second opinion on the problems faced by her , so that a proper treatment can be done without any further delay.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the psychological counselling.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question.

I have gone through your complaints carefully and I understand your concern.

Breathing difficulties(feeling breathless, weakness) persisting even after a thorough investigation is more likely to be due to some anxiety or depression.

But to say that, first all other causes for breathlessness and weakness need to be ruled out including vitamin deficiencies.

In my practice I would suggest and complete heamogram, X-ray of the chest, ECG, Blood sugar levels - both fasting and post prandial, a complete urine examination, Liver function tests, Kidney function tests, Thyroid function tests, and then if they are all normal I would ask for Vitamin B-12, Vitamin-D levels.

If all these come back normal, then I would recommend a visit to a psychiatrist or a psychologist to identify any anxiety or depression which might be causing such problems.

I hope your doctor has done the above mentioned tests, if not then you can request him/her to ask for the same.

I hope this answers your question, you are welcome to ask me for any clarifications or any more questions.

Wishing you both good health.

Warm regards,
Dr. Yogesh. D