Suffering from numbness in face, dizziness and memory loss. Have grey patch on brain. Concerned

Nov 2013

Hi my son in 34 he has been referred to a geriatrics specialist after having an mri scan, due to several worrying symptoms: numbness down the side of his face, dizziness and memory loss. He has been checked for a stroke and it wasn't that, he had an mri scan last year and was told that he had a small grey patch on his brain but there was no follow up to this.
He has been taking lansoprazole for over 5yrs could this have had any affect on his brain?
I am extremely concerned at the fact that he needs to go to the geriatric medicine department, your advice would be much appreciated.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The symptoms in your son suggest a problem with brain functions. Numbness of face, dizziness and memory loss, all occur due to brain problems.

As a first step, MRI brain may need to be repeated to see the progression of the problem, which was identified last year.

In addition, you could check his serum vitamin B12 and thyroid levels, deficiencies of which can affect brain functions.

Anxiety can also worsen his symptoms.

As of now, there is no need to worry. Any of the above problems, if diagnosed, can be fully treated with medications.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any further queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist