Suffering from neck pain, ear pain and neck tightness. Cyst found in thyroid gland. What to do?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hello, 3 months ago I went to my doctor complaining of front neck pain (below adam's apple), ear pain, and neck tightness. They assumed my thyroid was to blame so I was sent for a round of blood work and ultrasound. Everything came back normal with the exception of a small 4mm thyroid cyst. My doctor said the cyst was too small to worry about and basically told me that my pain was the result of allergies or acid reflux. I tried OTC medication for both with no change in my symptoms. Since that time I became pregnant and now suffer from dizziness everyday along with ear pain (sometimes itchy) and the tight neck feeling that comes and goes. My OBGYN sent me for another round of thyroid blood work which again all came back normal. This is my 3rd pregnancy so I know the dizziness is not a normal symptom for me... something seems off. Should I pursue further testing of the cyst or wait another couple of months to see if my symptoms subside? My biggest concern is the health of my unborn child.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shivaprasad C 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Small cysts in thyroid glands are incidental findings which are not uncommon to see in our practice. Allmost all of them are benign.They are not associated with any symptoms except local discomfort/pain when very large. Your cyst is too small to cause any symptoms. Dizziness cannot be attributed to thyroid cyst its totally unrelated problem. Thyroid cyst wouldnt have any adverse effect on pregnancy and fetal outcomes.Discuss with your gynaecologist about the cause of dizziness and try to find a solution -maybe neurologist/ENT consultation would help.combination of ear pain/neck discomfort/dizziness point towards ENT problem- in any case it needs to be investigated.
All that I want to say you is ignore the thyroid cyst &its not responsible for any of your symptoms. It doesnt have any adverse effect on fetus/pregnancy. Dont worry too much be relaxed.
Hope this answers your question.