Suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis. Having fatigue and pain on leg. MRI came normal. Treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have ME and most doctors or clinics seem to go on about the fatigue which a few years ago was my main symptom but now it is things like pain momorey and thinking working things out that drive me mad to say the least. When i read information i come across this but when i see professionals all they focus on is fatuige.

Now here we go again four months ago I hurt my back by picking up my grandaughter quite a number of times and over a few days and as time passed the pain got worse and i ended up not being able to bend sit or lift my left leg with pain killers etc things improved and i can bend and get on with it but i have been left with an ache in my back pulling pain down my left leg tinggleing numbness in thigh of left leg and pain/ache in left anckle. Had MRI scan on lower back yesterday and told it was normal but to keep taking pain killers as siatic nerve may havebeen irrated what does this mean if the scan was normal
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

I have read your query in detail. You might developed piriformis muscle strain.Sprain to the piriformis muscle causes spasm, which in and of itself is painful. This can cause back pain and buttocks pain. Prolonged sitting will make the pain worse. Walking, climbing stairs or bending can be difficult and painful. The sciatic nerve comes out of the spine, exiting just below the piriformis muscle.

Normal MRI scan of back means it exclude other causes of back pain and sciatica like a “bulging disc” or “herniated disc.

Avoiding sternous activities will help to stop straining the hip muscles. A set of stretching exercises for the back and hip muscles should be done twice daily to relieve the spasm, which will reduce the pain. With this stretching, an anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, can be taken to lessen the pain and treat the inflammation in the muscle, tendon and sciatic nerve.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.