Suffering from muscle weakness in legs, arms and sluttering speech? What is the solution?

i am suffering from muscle weakness(lack of balance) in legs and arms, and sluttering speech?what could be the solution for my problem?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

What you have is possibly Ataxia (incordination of limbs and speech) due to side effects of drugs given to you for tuberculosis and it includes streptomycin. Muscle weakness if any can be confirmed on clinical examination by your doctor. Uncommonly it can result from neurotuberculosis also. Since more than a year has passed, I do not think any medicine will be of help.

You may be helped by a good physiotherapy directed towards balance training and speech therapy in addition to muscle strengthening. You may have nutritional assessment, vitamin supplement by your doctor. An MRI of brain may demonstrate any specific area damage. Your treating doctor should start looking at my advice and act.

Let me know if I can advice you further.

Follow-up: Suffering from muscle weakness in legs, arms and sluttering speech? What is the solution? 44 hours later
Thank you.

Below are the medications that I am using presently.
Medicines for MDR-AntiTB

R-cin 450mg Daily Once early Morning
Isokin 300mg Daily Once early Morning
Ethide 250mg Daily Twice (Morning n Night)
Benadon 40mg Daily Once in Aftrnoon
Q-pas Granules Daily 2 ½ Scoops in Afternoon
Becosules Daily One Capsule after Dinner
Foracort Rotacaps Daily Twice (before Breakfast n before Dinner)     

Medicines given by Neurologist

Medication is being started from 7th XXXXXXX 2012

Nootropil 1200 Daily Twice (Morning n Night)
Wysolene 20 Half Tablet Atlernate Days after Breakfast
Shelcal OS Daily Once after Lunch
Norwayz 45 Daily Once after Lunch
Nexito 5 Daily Once before Dinner
Syp Betonin 10ml Daily Once after Breakfast
Claribid 500 One Tablet Daily For 20days

Medicines for Thyroid

Starting the Dosage was 50mg and than 75mg and presently it is 87.5mg
And the TSH Values of 18 July 2012 is 6.84. and dosage at that time was 75mg

Eltroxin 87.5mg Daily Once early Morning

One thing I forgot to tell that from streptomycin given, I was provided with the oxygen and now also I am under Oxygen support. After started Nootropil medicine and Ribcage Mobilization, my Oxygen reading stable at 85. And at night time I am keeping oxygen at 2litres while sleeping.

I am also involved in physiotherapy exercises and now I am able to walk slowly with the support of a walker but not able to walk independently.

I want to know whether these neurological medications helps me to recover muscle weakness and speech or is their any other medications to be provided. How much time will it take for me to recover speech and walking without any support? Please suggest me if I need to have any other medication or vitamin supplements. Also can I have your contact number and email ID to discuss more on the problem.

I am unable to upload the MRI Reports because my file size is 41MB and the limit upload size is only 2MB.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back and providing additional details. I will discuss your problem in three parts

a) Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis: Treatment appears ok and assessment by your doctor will decide whether it is effective or not

b) Muscle weakness and incoordination of different muscle groups including respiration and speech: Unfortunately there is no specific medicine is available for it. What you have been prescribed is under heading of "supportive treatment". Physiotherapy and ambulation + chest and speech therapy will be able to help you to some extent.

c) Continue treatment for hypothyroidism

d) Healthcare magic will be able to give you my contact number and email ID. You can contact me at 0000. My email is YYYY@YYYY

e) Scan and attach at least MRI reports

Dr. Pratap