Suffering from mouth ulcers, not on any medication. Suggest home remedies or medication for treatment?

Recently , my mother is facing the problem of Mouth Ulcers which is very painful to her. Please suggest me some allopathic medicine or home remedies for the same.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

These mouth ulcers can be very very painful. I recommnd the following for you to help this heal. It will generaly take 10 to 14 days for these to completely heal.

First of all, I recommend you purchase over the counter Maalox which is a antacid and have her swish this around her mouth and swallow every 4 hours during the day.

In addition, I recommend you echinacea tea and have her drink 3 cups of this per day to support her immune system.

Stick to bland foods and mouthwash without alcohol to minimize symptoms. Vitamin B-Complex supplements also helps in faster healing.

Thanks again for the query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from mouth ulcers, not on any medication. Suggest home remedies or medication for treatment? 13 hours later
please tell us about speciality doctor for that mouth ulcer in delhi(india)
sir,is it case of hematologist?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

Honestly there are no physicians who would be a specialist in this area. If this is a recurrent problem you would have to recommend that your mother is it with a primary care physician for a focused examination as well as possibly some laboratory studies to make sure that her immune system is adequate.

In the field of hematology we see these things all of the time in patients who have disturbed immune systems. Often this is the case in patients were receiving chemotherapy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert