Suffering from mouth thrush after taking antibiotics. Nystatin didn't help, taking flucanozole. Advise?

Dec 2012

I am suffering from mouth thrush after taking strong antibiotics. I was prescribed nystatin but that didn't help at all. I am now taking fluconazole 50mgs for 7 days. I have also started taking probiotics in capsule form. I also gargle with salty water and brush my tongue regularly. Could you advise me as to what else I could be doing to help clear it.

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Bernard and I am pleased to be able to help you with your health query.

If your oral thrush (candidiasis) has been confirmed by a health care practitioner, then your treatment should come easily. First of all oral thrush presents with the following: Oral thrush causes creamy white lesions, usually on your tongue or inner cheeks. The lesions can be painful and may bleed slightly when you scrape them. Sometimes oral thrush may spread to the roof of your mouth, your gums, your tonsils or the back of your throat.
Treatment should come easy if you are actually presenting with oral thrush (but note that if you have any other chronic medical condition that affects your immune system such as diabetes, HIV, cancer, age etc then treatment could become difficult). Adults or children who have oral thrush but are otherwise healthy can try one of these: Eating unsweetened yogurt and taking acidophilus capsules or liquid (these play the role of probiotics), antifungal such as fluconazole (dosage of upto 150-200mg daily is recommended) or ketoconazole etc. The rest of the measures that you mentioned can be maintained.
If after the above, the thrust still persist, then you will need to XXXXXXX an internist or gastroenterologist. A specimen from your mouth might need to be analyzed in the laboratory.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah