Suffering from mood swings. What to do?

My husband had mood swings. He can seem fine one minute and then other times he is borderline depressed and makes accusations that are unrealistic. Sometimes when having a discussion he will repspond to something I said with tears filling his eyes and he has to force himself to control his emotions. He's never acted this way before in 13 years of marriage. The last 8 months have been a roller coaster.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 7 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. When something similar to the scenario you described happens, the different causes like using some substances like cocaine, cannabis, ... should be investigated. Sometimes, some medical conditions like tumors in the brain can cause such a thing. Sometime, thyroid problems can cause it. When all the things mentioned are assessed, then we know better about it. It also may be bipolar mood problem which is treatable or manageable. It could also be personality problem if his mood change so fast during the day. He should visit a psychiatrist to see what it is. I wish him a good health.