Suffering from mood swings. Is this a sign of menopause?

my mood swings are becoming impossible to cope with, i dont know if i am beginning the menopause, would this make them worse?
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The mood swings at your age are seen secondary to Menopause. These may become more prominent after the actual menopause. Kindly don't worry as it is not a disease and almost every woman of your age experiences this.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Gynecologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out what exactly is causing your Symptoms and Many effective treatments are available, from lifestyle adjustments to hormone therapy or low dose antidepressants, if the symptoms get severe.

Bring in some lifestyle changes:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid high calorie foods and saturated fats.
3.) Exercise regularly for an hour and brisk walk for 30 to 40 minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation
6.) make sleep a priority and sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily
7.) Dress in layers and avoid hot beverages warm rooms, caffeine, Spicy foods, to avoid hot flashes
8.) Join a support group if you have any in your County, and share your Experiences with other women who experience similar symptoms as you, this will help you ease your burden and will help you understand your condition better
9.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.