Suffering from minor typhoid and herpes. Very weak and unable to walk. Suggest diet and precaution to be taken

my grand mother is 75+ years old. 1 week back she suffered from high fever. It continued till 22nd Oct. On 22nd Doctor confirmed she is suffering from minor typhoid. She does not have fever from last 2 days. But she is very weak now. Unable to walk or even sit. We are suspecting diabetes also. She is having herpes as well. She does not want to eat anything , as she does not feel hunger. Could you please suggest what should be her diet and what precaution need be taken. And if she might have diabetes, or sugar level increased due to typhoid. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet plan given; blood sugar level will rise sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your grand-mother's illness, but do not worry, I am sure she will be fine soon.

Now coming to your queries. As for her diet, following are my recommendations:
-High protein diet (tender fish and chicken, lentils, bananas, boiled eggs, mashed potato, vegetables, custards, etc.)
-Initially, for the 2-4 days, give a complete fluid diet (eg. fresh fruit juices prepared at home, barley water, coconut water, etc.)
-Boiled vegetables (till soft)
-Well steamed fruits
-Plenty of fluids
-Small meals every 2-3 hours
-Overcooked rice with yogurt
-Bland rice pudding

Avoid the following foods:
-Oily/fried/fatty food
-All types of chilies
-Milk (to be given only once diarrhea has stopped)
-Certain vegetables (eg. cabbage, capsicum and turnip) that can result in bloating

The above mentioned food items are the only real precautions that need to be taken, other than this nothing else would really have to be avoided.

As for the suspected diabetes. During an illness blood sugar levels rise due to a stimulus sent by the antibodies fighting illness; but blood sugar levels can rise due to the stress as well. So, whether in a normal person or a diabetic, blood sugar levels will increase. The only difference is that in a normal person, the body will produce more insulin to combat this rise in sugar levels, whereas, in an individual with diabetes, blood sugar levels remain high.

I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Wishing your grand-mother a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Suffering from minor typhoid and herpes. Very weak and unable to walk. Suggest diet and precaution to be taken 24 hours later
My grandmother is so weak after typhoid that she needs 2 people who can support and take her to washroom. She is having breathing problem as well. Today morning she just needed support , though she was a bit better. But by afternoon her condition worsened, doctor told it was due to infection, cough increased. He gave a syrup apart from other medicines and told she should be fine in 1-2 days. But we are worried. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep hydrated well enough

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

It sounds like your grand-mother has lost a lot of fluid and nutrients through diarrhea. Does she still have diarrhea sir?

At this moment the most important thing is to keep her hydrated sir, as this is what will give her the energy and provide her with all the nutrients she is losing or has already lost. Please go about the liquid diet that I had recommended earlier, and also continue with all the medications prescribed by her doctor.

Do not worry sir, she will be fine in no time. It just a matter of a few days, she shall soon be perfectly fine. Do not worry about anything, and if there is anything worrying you, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.