Suffering from mild pneumonia. X-ray showed a shadow on right hilar. Can a shadow or mass be pneumonia in this region?

Jan 2013

HI, My husband has had amild pneumonia since 21st July were his first symptoms - aching muslces and joints, ore throat, cough, headache, fever, chills, a week later had a mild small ras on his inner elbows. 2 days into his symptoms on Monday 23rd JUly he went to the dcotro who suspcted pneumonia and sent him for an xray which showed a shadow on his right hilar. The doctor was very irresponsible and said if my husband was a smoker (he is 41 and a non-smoker but his dad was a heavy smoker and he grew up around it) he thought it would be lung cancer. we have been worried sick ever since. He has since recovered - in about 9 days all he has now is a bit of a cough left and some mild discomfort on his right side if he lies in certain positions. The doctor has said pneumonia doesn't occur in the hilar region - is this true? He is going for a ct scan next week and he has some blood tested but the doctor has told us nothing about it. I am so annoyed with our doctor. He has also stated on the ct scan form that it is a hilar mass but said to us it's a shadow. can a shadow or mass be pneumonia in this region? Is it atypical (walking) pneumonia? My 4 year old daughter has had similar symptoms for 3 weeks. Both have been on antibiotics and made a recovery. Any help would be appreciated, many thanks,
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Although your husband symptoms are suggestive if pneumonia and your doctor's view regarding hilar mass is also correct. Pneumonia in hilar region is less common.
You must have to go for CT scan for clarification.
Few cancers are also common in non -smokers.
Atypical pneumonia are those which are different from typical pneumonia so in your husband case, atypical pneumonia possibility should also be kept in mind.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava