Suffering from mild fever, frequent sticky stools. Took metrogyl. Advise medication

Jun 2015

I had been to an island resort where quality of water was not very good. I have been suffering from sticky stools with a frequency of 3-4 times in a day since past 3 days. I have already tried Metrogyl 400 mg(5 tablets by now) but so far there is no effect. I also have mild temperature (99 degrees, my normal is 97). Appetite is OK.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 51 minutes later

The symptoms as well as the history mentioned in your post suggest that you might be having Gastroenteritis.

The persistence of symptoms even after intake of Metrogyl (pharmacologically Metronidazole) can be due to:
1. The causative organism is a virus, in which case the antibiotic is not effective.
2. The causative organism is resistant to Metronidazole.

Under such circumstances, examination of the stool sample as well as culture & sensitivity will be helpful to identify the causative agent & formulate an appropriate treatment plan.
So, kindly consult your General Physician regarding the same.

Till then, maintain adequate hydration in the form of fluid intake and Oral Rehydration Solution.
Take soft, plain and non-spicy diet.

Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & Take care.