Suffering from mental disorders. Body starts shaking, behaving abnormally. Suggest some effective cure

my mother is suffering from mental disorders. she get some kind of metal attack and this attack generally take place whenever she is with her husband. we consulted many doctors including psychiatrist and neurology but medicine works until unles she is not with her husband. once she is with her husband, in couples of days she starts with same problem.

symptoms are like her body starts shaking,then she starts yawning and then she starts stretching her body. if someone forcefully try's to stop this kind of behaviour she starts acting in rude manner, as if she dont know anyone in her family. if we forcefully try to stop her body shaking then followingly some other body parts starts shaking, sometimes neck, hand, leg and things goes on. sometimes she starts laughing, she asks for lot of food and when we oppose her demands she starts behaving in rude manner. Her eyes normally does not open whenevr she is in such kind of state, but when she is aggresive then she could easily open her eyes and react abnormally. sometimes she shows her whole tongue and her eyes becomes very big.and this whole process last for long time and automatically by her own she gets normal.when she is normal she could remember everything whatever she did.

please help me, i am in XXXXXXX trouble.
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thank you Mr Vijaykumar for a good description of your mother's state

Can you kindly answer me the following

1. How has been the relationship between your father and mother since marriage

2. Also, kindly tell me elaborately about your family circumstances

3. Does she has any other behavioral symptome, now, in between the "attacks"in past

Thank you and in anticipation of reply, I am available for further discussion after getting response to my query
Follow-up: Suffering from mental disorders. Body starts shaking, behaving abnormally. Suggest some effective cure 12 hours later
thank you for your reply sir,

my mother and father had a very good relationship since marriage.they had many good and rough phases in there life, but things never went wrong with there relationship.

my father had a settled job after his marriage for around 12 to 15 years at fixed location and he used to stay with his family and now from last 5 to 6 years he is in tranferable dad never took my mumma with him to the transffered location due to our studies and some family circumstances.

we always had financial problem in our family till dad was with his family because my dad earned money just enough for family survival, nothing more than was sometime difficult to pay our school fees.but time changed and condition of family also changed when he came into tranferable job.

one important thing which i should bring into notice is the case which happened between my mom and dad when my dad was working at karnataka location. after i completed my studies my mom went first time to my dad's place and she found that her husband was not close to her. after some enquiries she found that he was involved with someone else. she always asked him about the reason but he never gave heed to her questions and never felt important to explain things to her.

she used to cry whole day sitting alone in a single room with no one to take care of her. my dad used to go to office at 8am and generally comes home back after 9.30pm or 10pm.till then she was alone all day long with no neighbours,no relatives,no one to take care of her and with just one thought in her mind."my mother has a problem of thinking a lot even on small things".and this whole process lasted for few weeks and things came under control and my dad somehow managed to explain her that whatever she was thinking was wrong. this was one of the biggest relationshp problem between them.

another important thing is people around us. they named this abnormal behavior disorder as some un-natural ghost elders took her to some tantrik and instead of curing her problem that tantrik made things more difficult for us to handle. her behavior changed to more aggresive manner and attacks started taking place at less interval of time. tantrik used to give a bottle of water, and whenever she drinks that water (in her abnormal state) she becomes normal.we never had idea of such disorder so we used to chant some religious mantra and blow it into her ears,and this made things under control. these all methods made my mumma more confident that this kind of disorder is some ghost problem and not some mental disorder. whenever we take her in front of god or we bring any one of god's photograph in front of her she starts shaking her body in more aggresive way as if she is afraid of those images. this all problems made things more complicated for her.

inspite of all these problems we changed our way. we consulted many psychiatrist and neurologist.

dr. A.K.P XXXXXXX md psychiatry chappra bihar made things under control and after taking his medicines for six month she was nearly to normal state.she did not had any problem after taking his medicines for six month. now my dad asked mumma to come to his place.after going there witthen one week of time everything repeated with same symptoms and same problems started again.they never had any kind of disputes after my mumma went to my dad's place but with no reason symtoms repeated.again we brought her back to patna at our relatives place.

then we consulted dr s k jha DM neurology, his medicines controlled her and after 5 months again we thought of taking mumma to dad's place and again after going there symptoms repeated and helplessly we again came back to patna with no at present dr. s k jha has reffered us to consult psychiatrist saying that this is these all are psychiatric symptoms.

talking about few days back my dad came to see mumma. during those days she was going well and she did not had any attack since last 10 days without any medicines. just after my dad came home her symptoms repeated the very next day.

now, she has forgotten whatever she had in the past and she feels very happy when she sees her husband and i feel they both really care for each other but i am not able to understand the reason behind this mental illness.

once again i l brief out her symptoms:

problem starts with her head becoming too heavy,
then she starts yawning
body stretching
body shaking
teeth fitting
jhatka in her body ( as if shock is given to body)

in more aggresive cases

asking for lot of food( this happens sometime)
hitting her own face and body very badly
showing her whole tongue
eyes becoming bigger
playing with her hands,fingers ,body etc

it will be a great pleasure of you if you could show me right mumma's quality of life is totally ruined.please help family is in XXXXXXX trouble.

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 hours later
I must be thankful and proud of your parents and you all, the long journey you all have made through.

If she is absolutely fine during the episodes as she was before, by thought, mood and behavior, then the description of all these symptoms, what I can understand, can be of a dissociative disorder (though, it may not be a wise idea to come to conclusion without examining the client). In such disorder, some underlying stressor/conflict(which client herself may not be aware of ), when becomes overwhelming, mind cannot control it. And to give psyche a stability, those stress are converted to symptoms presented. these are not like one to one as in mathematics, always, rather complex and interrelated. Sometimes, these are common in such family circumstances (total life trajectory)

These things can be dealt better with by psychotherapy treatment.

The best place for such treatments can be department of psychiatry, NIMHANS, Bangalore.

And if the diagnosis is dissociative disorder, then it is not at all serious and nothing to worry at all. And there are ways and means to handle these. Overall, I feel she should improve with treatment.

Can you tell me the diagnosis made by your past doctors.

Hope this can address some of your concern.

You are most welcome to discuss further am I will be available for further discusion
Follow-up: Suffering from mental disorders. Body starts shaking, behaving abnormally. Suggest some effective cure 21 hours later
thank you very much sir,

medicines which actully gave her relief,

by Dr. AKP XXXXXXX MD psychiatry

seral 500
oxtin 300
clonazipam .5
semlifrt 50

these medicines made her sleep alot.

By S k JHA dm neuro

tryptomer 25
betacap tr 40
new cita plus 1 tab hs
tonact tg
thyronorm 100mg

she did not had any kind of attack after taking these medicines for nearly 3 months.she was absolutely fine after taking these medicines but after 3 months she started with same attacks and doctor changed few med,

lithosun 300mg
meltolan 7.5mg hs

at present she is undergoing following treatment of Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD psychiatry

oxiquick 1tab in afternoon
clomed forte 1T in afternoon nd 2T at night
medplus 1T in afterrnoon and 1T in night
quickdep plus 1T at night

she is sleeping alot after taking these medicines and her mouth is becoming dry.
she is taking these from last three days.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later
Thank you XXXXXX for writing me again

Going through your exhaustive list of medicines that includes mood stabilizers like lithium, antipsychotics like olanzapine etc, I would keep my mind open so far as the diagnosis is concerned.

You can discuss all these diagnostic possibilities, detailed treatment history in chart form, scope of any other treatment in addition to or other than medications like psychotherapy etc. with your current treating doctor. You can freely express to psychiatrist about excessive sleepiness or any other side effects, if any. Because diagnosis and treatment of such ailments is more based on reporting, history etc rather than dominated by investigations as in medical problems.

Also as because she is diabetic and hypothyroid, you need to keep in mind that such individuals are at risk of developing psychological problems and to treat both the conditions adequately for better control of overall health and happiness.

Wish your mother a good mental health and happiness to you all

Also, you can be in touch regularly, if you feel like, to update and discuss issues off and on.