Suffering from memory problem. How to improve this?

Nov 2013

I have a very bad memory. I struggle to recall things that have occurred more than a couple of dys before but not like a total loss of memory just the details. It's not like I dont care, I do, but usally my recall is very different to others or is patchy and I nearly never remember conversations with any form of accuracy. I have tried all sorts of memory improvement techniques with little improvement. This is causing issues in my private life as it frustrates my fiancé no end. What can I do??
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
I can understand the discomfort you are facing on account of your memory probelms.
First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious brain disease.
Memory impairment in your case seems to be mild and non-continuos. In most cases of brain disease, the problems with memory- both retention and retrieval of stored information- are affected, and they are present all the time.
There are a few likely possibilities to explain your symptoms.
Firstly, presence of stress in daily life can adversely affect memory. This is the most likely reason in your case. Stress leads to increased secretion of hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, which over prolonged periods, can affect the storage and retrieval of data.
Secondly, if you do multi-tasting, then the memory can get adversely impacted too.
For improving your situation, following would be useful.
1. Minimise the stress as much as possible,
2. Ensure adequate sleep of 7-8 hours,
3. Adequate and timely meals. Certain food items such as dry fruits, fish, strawberries, grapes, etc are known to improve brain functions.
4. Medications such as piracetam may also be useful.
I hope this helps. Please get back if you require any further information.
Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist