Suffering from massive back pain. Had done herniated cervical disc repaired. Suggestion?

Spine Surgeon
I had a fall landed in the splis position..Im a 49 yr old male 6'5 and 260lbs...Herniated cervical disc that was repaired by surgery but I also have a l3 l4 2.5mm herniated disc with a posterior midline annular that almost contacts the l4 nerve roots,,,,I am in massive pain sciatic and back.....also pee on myself but my surgeon is not sure is the herniation is my problem since it is not that big......its been four months and Im ready to shoot myself
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 7 hours later

Definitely, herniation of such size may cause the leg pain but it may not disturb the bladder functions. Is there annular tear? It may cause severe back pain.

Please tell me more about the pain. Which leg? herniation same sided? Any night pain? Pain while walking? Sitting? What relieves the pain? Do you have severe back pain or leg pain or both? What is the status of the cervical spine? Do you have any arm complaints? Any imbalance while walking?

If possible, please upload the MRI images. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page.

Please get back with above information. Thanks.
Follow-up: Suffering from massive back pain. Had done herniated cervical disc repaired. Suggestion? 15 hours later
there is a posterior midline annular tear l3 l4 The left leg hurts down the thigh to the knee the doc said herniation is slightly to that side......pain at night in back and thigh and big toe on left foot.....tingling in arch and big toe area......small toes are pain from below knee to ankle....kinda numb.....pain worst while sitting......walking though will cause my butt to cramp....leg pains.....back cramps......laying down is the least painful position....was on tramadol....then oleptro slow release....kept pain even...then now vicatin.......worked great at first but not lasting very long now......the c5 c6 fusion....pain was to left side....dropped things with left hand......tingling.........after surgery no longer dropping more tingling but had a lot of problem with other hand and shoulder after surgery but after taking a steroid pack most of the symptoms have left......ever since accident I feel unbalanced and still do.........I will get the mri images and try to figure out how to upload... will be a few days.....thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 21 minutes later
Thanks for the information. L3-4 disc herniation can cause such problem. However I would consider doing a Lt sided nerve root block at L3-4 level. It has diagnostic and therapeutic value. If the block reduced the leg pain then it confirms the diagnosis.
You can upload the pictures or send it to YYYY@YYYY to my attention.