Suffering from lymphatic edema in limbs after a hysterectemy. is there any treatment?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
dear Sir / Madam

Im XXXXXXX from India. My mother suffers from lymphatic edema in her limbs after a hysterectemy in 2000. Her legs have swollen( esp right) and is disfugured and huge. Is there any medical treatment that could help her in any way.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 8 hours later
thank you for positing your query on health care magic.Sorry to hear about your mothers suffering but it is definitely treatable.Firstly I'll like to know that is it just post surgery and was groin dissection done as well? It is most probably secondary lymphadema .Which part of the country does your mother reside ? Has there been a blood test for filaria done at night 12 am?
Treatment is medical with oral medications if its filarial lymphodema and followed by compressive therapy and then a lympangiogram may be done.Finally she will require sequential reductions in surgery, to be done by any Plastic surgeon or surgeon doing and specialized in lymphedema surgeries.I have seen the pictures.If you have the above reports kindly mail me at YYYY@YYYY .I hope I have answered to you're basic doubts.please feel free to ploidy any further queries here or on my email id.
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant Plastic , Cosmetic & Hair transplant surgeon
New delhi
Follow-up: Suffering from lymphatic edema in limbs after a hysterectemy. is there any treatment? 3 days later
I am XXXXXXX father of XXXXXXX who has posted the problem of my wife XXXXXXX She had cancer of uterus & was operated in 2000 XXXXXXX & during surgery doctors removed uterus , varies & lymphatic glands & lymph nodes in upper left thigh.after six months she started getting cold shudders followed by fever & committing & would take minimum 8 to 10 days. After consulting in hospitals in Bangalore like manipal, mallaya, & ramaiah hospitals & after consulting many doctors it was concluded that she was affected with lyphamtic edema on the left leg. Swelling was over large on the thigh and below knee & started forming lumps on the backside of thigh & in calf muscle area. Mr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX plastic surgeon conducted twice surgery i i thigh area by opening & removing the hardened lymphatic fluids. He tried with liposuction but the fluid had hardened. Third operation was done in the ankle area. Edema had reduced but slowly started building up. But these operations reduced fevers. Later we tried a treatment through integrated treatment which contained combination of treatment of skin porosity, oil message, yoga, & wrapping with crepe bandage throughout the left leg & medicines. Need to continue daily this routine
But we unable to do daily
Doctors have told that compression by putting bandage & some medicines is the only solution
Kindly give your views. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 23 hours later
Thank you for posting your followup query.What history you have given along with the pictures suggests secondary lymphedema post lymph dissection.Liposuction is not a very appropriate treatment for lymph fluid aspiration as it may increase the fibrosis afterwords.The best treatment for the condition is as follows:
Maintain hygiene of lower limb
Avoid any wound or ulcer to develop
Clean all web spaces properly
Apply oil or cream to avoid dryness and keep limb lubricated
Compression (sequential ) of left limb from any centre trained in teaching the method.
Once swelling settles down a bit limb reduction surgery can be done in stages
Get peripheral smear for filaria if not done till now, if positive them oral medication need to be v started in form of hetrazan

I hope I have given you some idea about management of the condition.If you have any further doubts feel free to mail me or post again
God bless