Suffering from lung fibrosis and feeling breathlessness. Suggest some effective medicine

Sep 2012

I am suffering from Lung fibrosis (ILD)resulting in to breathlessness. How ovanac-plus can help me ? OR can you suggest me some good medicine which may be available in India. e-mail: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, ILD, means interstitial lung disease. Here, the interstitial tissue of the lung is involved diffusely.

It is caused by many diseases, the list is very long. But, in our clinical experience, most common cause is idiopathic. But for treatment purpose, we have to search for an underlying cause of this condition. If any cause is found, the treatment should be given for that cause. And if, nothing is found as a cause, then treatment should be given to suppress the immune mechanism.

Before starting therapy, some investigations must be done
1.     Complete blood count.
2.     Chest X-ray.
3.     Blood sugar level.
4.     High resolution CT scan (investigation of choice) of thorax.
5.     Pulmonary function test.
6.     If required, bronchoscopy is considered.

The most common drug which is used in our day to day practice is corticosteroids. But before starting this, base level blood sugar level and chest X-Ray is must. If steroids are not helpful then other immunosuppressant agents like cyclophosphamide or azathioprine should be considered. These drugs are available in India.

But, the drug Ovanac Plus is not helpful in this condition.

What you have to do, is consult with a pulmonologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering required investigations and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.