Suffering from lower back pain, numbness in neck. Full body X ray report showed no abnormalities. reason?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
This is regarding the pain which my wife is going through, the pain started with the lower back, then in the Knee (Left) with the numbness, there is sometime numbness in the neck as well which is intermittent but the numbness in the neck is always when she wakes up in the morning. She went for the full body X-Rays 5 months ago which were normal Please suggest,
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
To be able to help you better, I need a little more information from you:

Does she get pain also which is worse in the morning?

Does she get any stiffness in the back?

Was there any swelling in the knee?

Does she get good relief with painkillers?

Lastly does she or anyone in her family suffer from psoriasis?

Has she got her ESR or her HLA B27 (lab tests) done?

Let me know and we can take this ahead properly
Thanks

Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain, numbness in neck. Full body X ray report showed no abnormalities. reason? 24 hours later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for replying back, below are the answers:

Yes

Does she get any stiffness in the back?

No stiffness but Numbness is there

Was there any swelling in the knee?

No

Yes

No

No

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Your wife may be suffering from a condition called ankylosing spondylitis. She needs to get her complete blood count, ESR, HLA B27 and CRP.

She should start taking an anti-inflammatory medicine like Etoricoxib. Since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest that she sees her local physician for the same. We can then see how much relief she gets with it.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain, numbness in neck. Full body X ray report showed no abnormalities. reason? 23 minutes later
Thanks a lot doc for answering my query, i was reading about ankylosing spondylitis that it is associated with an inflammation of the eye (iritis and uveitis), causing redness, eye pain, vision loss, floaters and photophobia. This is thought to be due to the association these two conditions have with inheritance of HLA-B27. Other common symptoms are generalized fatigue and sometimes nausea. Less commonly, aortitis, apical lung fibrosis and ectasia of the sacral nerve root sheaths may occur. but these symptoms are not there with her its just the pain and numbness which i have mentioned earlier. Moreover ankylosing spondylitis is hereditary and in her family no one has it. Please suggest.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
I agree with you.

However, every disease has a spectrum, it is not essential that every patient should suffer from all the symptoms.

Secondly, considering some of her symptoms, it is essential that we rule out ankylosing by doing the tests so that we do not miss a treatable disease.

The hallmark of this disease is sacroillitis and a positive HLA b27.

Therefore, I suggest we go ahead with this and take it from the results.