Suffering from lower back pain due to muscle spasm. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from lower back pain for last 4 weeks. I was told that i am suffering from muscle spasm and need to take rest. I was asked to do some stretchable exercise, physiotherapy and hot showers on the affected area. But till date I have not got any relief. Now I am not able to walk independently and it hurts a lot while walking few steps. Please advise. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The back pain which is persistent for last 4 weeks and is not getting relieved with hot fomentation and physiotherapy needs to be evaluated for any disc prolapse.
You need to consult an orthopedician who after a detailed examination will order tests like MRI of lumbosacral spine to detect the extent of problem.
Treatment involves pain killers in combination with effective muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside. Improvisation of posture, back strengthening exercises under guidance of physiotherapist and hot fomentation are helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain due to muscle spasm. Suggestions? 29 minutes later

Dear Dr. Tayal,

Thanks for your guidance, I have been prescribed Robinax Tab thrice a day alongwith Tab Combiflam (1/2). I have been told that it is sciatica and need to do some stretching exercise alongwith medicines prescribed and physiotherapy. My only query is how long it will take to heal.

Thank you once again for your prompt guidance.

With kind regards
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The time taken for relief depends on the extent of nerve root compression and the regular physiotherapy that you are already doing. Usually it takes 6-8 weeks of regular physiotherapy and rest for proper relief.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.