Suffering from lower back pain and taking medication. Ultrasound showing enlarged ovary. Could I ask a doctor?

dear sir/ sister has been suffering from right lower back pain since three months..she has been under treatment of an orthopaedician..two days before, the USG was the impression the USG says- " Large right Ovary" and no collection of fluid seen in tod..What may be the responsible factor for this enlargement of Ovary than the normal..And if it is due to cyst , it should have been been shown in the USG, what could be the possible reason of this enlargement ..Please advise me for her further treatment..though we are taking her to a gynaecologist, yet the necessary line of treatment may be suggested by you...Thankyou
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ovarian cyst is a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Normal ovarian size is 1.5cm by 3 cm. Anything larger than that is called enlarged ovary. There are several causes like ovarian cyst, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, pregnancy, cancer that cause enlarged ovaries. Commonest cause is ovarian cyst.

The best method of diagnosis is by ultrasound and blood tests. Please review the scan report with a gynecologist. If there is a cyst, it can be diagnosed.

You may also upload the complete scan report here on this query page. There is a feature on the right side of this page for the same.

Sometimes, if there the cyst and the ovary are close together, they cannot be identified separately. Treatment will be accordingly. Larger than 3 cm cysts usually require surgery. Smaller ones can be managed by medication.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain and taking medication. Ultrasound showing enlarged ovary. Could I ask a doctor? 24 hours later
mam..thankyou for responding..i am attaching herewith her investigation reports which includes blood, urine , Usg and the prescripation of the orthopaedician who has been treating her..I would request you for kind perusal of these reports and suggest me on the following issues :
1.0 what is the reason of this enlargement of ovary.
2.00 is this the reason of her right lower back pain.
3.0 she also experiences intense pain while periods.however her periods is never delayed or irregular
4.0 who should we refer to now..and what should be the next line of treatment
5.0 would you recommend some radio or other investigation
6.0 has this enlargement any adverse effect on conception as she is unmarried
7.0 should she stop the medication of the orthopadiacia( Prescription attached) for the right lower back pain
please respond at the erliest as your suggestion shall be of great worth
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports supplied are normal

Detailed Answer:

Hello Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for writing back and uploading the reports, I have seen all the reports.

The ultrasound scan has only right ovary mentioned in it and there is nothing mentioned about the left ovary, and also the report does not clearly say mention the size (like, if the mentioned numbers are length or breadth or what) so I assume it as length followed by width as that is how normally it is mentioned in the reports.

1. The ultrasound has not specified the cause of the enlarged ovary. Hence a cyst/mass cannot be ruled out yet. But the size is significant.

2. The lower back pain,could be radiating from the ovary but less likely.She is being treated for lumbar spondylosis. Mostly the pain is due to that.

3. Intense pain during periods is called dysmenorrhea. It is common and normal. Only in some cases like fibroids, endometriosis etc the pain is intense. Now some amount of pain is normal for the 1-3 days. That can be managed with medication. Mefatal spas tablets will help. The ultrasound does not show any cause like fibroid.

4. She should see a gynaecologist first to undergo further tests as to why the ovary is enlarged. Some blood test and maybe a CT scan may be required.

5. Blood tests specific for ovarian cancer markers should be done first to rule it out. The reports you have supplied are normal. Since the Ultrasound did not show any cause, a CT scan may be required.

6. In unmarried women, ovarian cancer needs to be ruled out first. Simple cysts etc can treated and wont have any effect on conception.

7. Continue the medication from the orthopedic doctor. It is for the lumbar spondylosis.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please feel free to write back if you need further clarifications.