Suffering from lower back pain. Wears belt. Suggest medication to be taken when in severe pain

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor,

My mother is suffering from low back pain from last few years and most of the time she wares belt.
Can you recommend medicine/tablets which can be taken whenever there is more pain ?

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

The cause of low back pain in your mother might be the degenerative osteoarthritis which occurs due to age related wear and tear.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen (motrin) 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this helps you.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing her good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.