Suffering from lower back pain. Have enlarged uterus. Ultrasound done. What does the report suggest?

I recently had an ultrasound done and was wondering if you could go over the results for me. ** HISTORY **:
Patient with lower back pain x3-4 months. Enlarged uterus noted on
exam. Please evaluate uterus and ovaries.

Real time ultrasound examination of the pelvis was performed
transabdominally and endovaginally.

The uterus is retro-flexed and retroverted, measuring 6 x 4.6 x
5.1 cm. Myometrium is heterogeneous. Endometrial echocomplex is
heterogeneous as well, estimated at 11 mm. There is a tubular
hypoechoic area with small cystic changes along the anterior
endometrium. Small amount of color present in the heterogeneous
endometrium. Small free fluid in the pelvis.

Left ovary measures approximately 2.7 x 1.9 x 2.2 cm and contains
multiple follicles including a dominant 17 mm cyst or follicle
which contains a 5 mm nonvascular echogenic mural nodular
component. The right ovary measures 4.3 x 1.6 x 3.0 cm and also
contains a dominant 2.1 cm follicle.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The findings are suggestive of a normal sized retroverted uterus with normal endometrium with mild degenerative changes suggestive of a pre menstrual phase of the cycle.
Both the ovaries are normal in size with normal consistency and show normal ovulation follicles.
The findings of this ultrasound examination are within normal limits except for the presence of mild fluid in the pelvis which might be related to mild pelvic inflammation. Clinical correlation is needed to detect the significance of this fluid.
These findings are not worrisome and do not indicate any major pathology.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain. Have enlarged uterus. Ultrasound done. What does the report suggest? 31 minutes later

Thanks for your information. There were a few specific questions I had

I was concerned specifically with the heterogeneous myometrium and the heterogeneous endometrial echocomplex and its measurement of 11 mm.

What about the size of the right ovary?

What is the small amount of color in the heterogeneous endometrium mean? And again, the word heterogeneous in regards to the endometrium also troubled me.

Lastly, what are these small cystic changes along the anterior of endometrium?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Heterogenous appearance of myometrium is a normal finding and is suggestive of mild age related changes.
The endometrial thickness of 11mm is normal and its heterogenous appearance with mild cystic areas is not suggestive of any pathology. This endometrial layer is shed off every month during periods and forms again.
An ovary with multiple developing follicles with a dominant follicle of almost 2cm will be slightly increased in size which is physiological.
Small cystic changes in the endometrium are suggestive of a premenstrual phase of the cycle. These are not worrisome unless associated with heavy bleeding in which case it might be suggestive of an endometrial hyperplasia.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.