Suffering from lower abdominal pain. Ultrasound done. Diagnosed with PID. Is this serious?

Hello Doc, I recently went to a gynae as I suffered lower abdominal pain for about an hour in the morning. The results of the ultrasound for "UTERUS AND ADNEXA says : Uterus is normal in size, outline and echopattern. Bilateral adenexa are normal. Both the ovaries shows normal follicular cyst. Free fluid seen in the POD". And diagnosed it as PID. I want to know how serious the problem is, right now I have been prescribed antibiotics and given two weeks of medication and will go for the next check up only after that.During the month of January this year I had surgery,left Hemithyroidectomy. Will I have problem conceiving or have Endometriosis. I am 31 yrs .
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 52 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

PID is pelvic inflammatory disease which is a upper genital infection.
It is NOT as serious condition PROVIDED you complete your treatment. It is completely curable by antibiotics.

You will have no problems in conceiving provided your infection is resolved at the proper time.
About 15% of all those who become infected can have infertility if scarring of tissue occurs following untreated infection.
You ultrasound shows no problem in the uterus or the tubes and ovaries. So there should be no problem in conceiving considering your present report.

PID does not have a risk of endometriosis.
IF you have a family history of endometriosis then there can be a risk otherwise PID alone wont cause endometriosis.

Considering your history of hemithyroidectomy and treatment with thyronorm, the only problem which can occur is infertility, only when your thyroid hormone levels are uncontrolled. If your TSH hormone levels are well controlled with regular menstrual periods , there should not be any problems in conceiving.

You can revert back with further queries.

take care.