Suffering from low-grade but persistent back pain. How to treat this?

Spine Surgeon
I am a 69 year old woman who is feeling a pain in the middle back on the left side for the last 3 days. At first it felt like a muscle spasm but heat and stretching have not helped. What else might be causing this constant low-grade but persistent pain?
thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Definitely muscle sprain is more likely. However spinal cause need to be ruled out. With increasing age, wear and tear happens in the spine which leads to disc degeneration and arthritis of the small joints in the spine. Other more serious reason is compression fracture of the osteoporotic vertebrae.
I would suggest to consult a spine specialist and get spine Xrays to ruled out spinal cause. Thanks.