Suffering from loose stools. Can I take pepto bismul?

I have mucusy loose stools.. Dr thought diverticulitus. Had reaction to meds & Dr stopped them thinking possible gastroenteritis. Can i take pepto bismul?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Bismuth is only a binding agent… Short term use has no significant problems.
At 50, one needs stool examination and colonoscopy – to exclude common conditions
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing well
Follow-up: Suffering from loose stools. Can I take pepto bismul? 26 hours later
Since i am recouperating from either diverticulitus or gastroenteritus how soon can i resume a normal diet? Today i have minimal discomfiort, just twinges occasionally. Bowel movements are improving. Still loose but not watery diarhea. And i do have irritable bowel as well. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Step-wise addition is ideal

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Over a period of 3 to 4 days, you can be back to your routine
Introduce one thing at a time / add on
Subclinical lactose intolerance is common – Milk should be in moderation and one of the last items to include.

Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck