Suffering from loose motions. Given Sporolac. Dosage of Sporolac?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My kid is 20 months old and from yday she is having loose motions. Have given Sporolac today once XXXXXXX during noon. Is it ok ?.. How many times should I give sporolac in a day for my kid.
Let me know how we can stop the loose motion so that the kid is fine
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later
Sporlac XXXXXXX is a probiotic ( lactobacillus ) which helps the gut to recover from diarrhoea . It can be given as one XXXXXXX twice daily for 3-5 days depending on severity of symptoms.
Apart from this in children having loose motions it is very important to replenish fluids with who recommended ORS solutions ( pedialyte etc) throughout the day . This will prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalance . Give as small sips after each stool and as per thirst throughout the day .
Next you can give a zinc supplement ( zinconia or zioral) 2.5 ml twice daily & an antibiotic might be needed if loose motions persist beyond 5 days of probiotic and zinc therapy , as per your doctors prescription .
So please do not worry and continue probiotics , ORS and zinc . Meanwhile keep a watch for any dehydration, fever, blood in stools etc in which case prompt check up is advisable to rule out bacterial gastroenteritis requiring antibiotics like Cefixime or Colistin .
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.