Suffering from loose motion. Not cured by imodium and ofloxacin. Looking for cure

Sep 2012

I have been suffering from loose motion since last few days as advised by family doctor i have consumed the following mdicines one dose each a day
1. Imodium
2. O2 (Ofloxacin & Ornidazole)
However I still face the same problem, which results in fatigue and joint pain and acidity for which take Diegene cyrup once in the night. I had also done a liver function blood test but the report has come normal.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Firstly, from your symptoms it is clear that you are suffering from infective diarrhoea. Joint pain, fatigue indicates presence of electrolyte disbalance. For your information diegene is not indicated in this condition.
Liver function test is normal. It also supports the above.

You have to take the followings -
1. Take more water.
2. Take ORS mixed with water. Try to take it after every bowel movement.
3. Stop O2. Take combination of ciprofloxacin and ornidazole. Take it twice daily for five days.
4. Stop Imodium. Take reacecadotril group of drug. When the stool becomes solid, you can stop it. You can take it upto 3 times a day.
5. Take an enzyme syrup 30 minutes before the main meals.
6. Take a pantoprazole group of drug once daily in morning before breakfast.
7. If you experience more muscle pain, fatigue, do blood test for Sodium and potassium levels.
8. If the abovementioned treatment does not give you any relief within 2 days or you experience more diarrhoea, muscle pain, fatigue, go to emergency of any hospital for admition and treatment with intravenous fluid and antibiotics.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Suffering from loose motion. Not cured by imodium and ofloxacin. Looking for cure 2 days later

I have done the suggested changes in medicine however the problem still persists and I have loss of appetite, I dont feel hungry at all. However beacuse of acidity problem I eat a fruit to keep my stomach full.

My diarhea is not that frequent but three or four times in a day. Let me know if i need to change medicine again, else as advised will go to the nearby hospital for treatment.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.
Firstly, if you do not feel muscle pain, increased bowel movement, you need not to go to emergency right now.
Secondly, you need some time to get back to normal life again. It may be 4 to 5 days.
You can add one antibiotic doxycycline (100mg), along with the previous medicines. Take it twice daily for 5 days.
If, even after taking all these medicines, you do not feel any improvements after 2 to 3 days, you can consult a gastroenterologist for further investigation and management.
And as I mentioned previously, you can go to Emergency, if you have the symptoms.