Suffering from loose bowel movements. Noticed mucus in it. Is there any home treatment?

Jan 2013

I have had soft, loose and thin stools for almost a month now. Sometimes there is mucus in it and sometimes it is only mucus. My doc said he thinks I have a blockage and to do Milk of Magnesia and a suppository and if that did not work to do an enema. I did MOM for two days and it got a lot of matter out but all liquidy. I felt a little better, but still felt like I needed to have a good solid bowel movement and I am still gasy and have mucus and mild diarrhea. I tried the enema tonight, only got 1/3 solution in. had very little stool come out after and it was light in color and loose. Been gasy since with lots of mucus coming out again. Also had blood right after the enema, i assume it cut me? Can you please tell me what I should do next and if there is a home treatment? I don't have insurance so I prefer not to go to the doc unless its urgent. Thank you so much
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

Do you have fener and vomiting/ nausea?

You should go for X XXXXXXX flat plate abdomen. In this, If fecoliths (obstructed hard stool) is present then you ahould go for laxative therapy.

In my opinion,you are suffering from Acute gastroenteritis. Symptoms suggestive are: Diarrhea, blood in stool, and flatulence.

Treatment of gastroenteritis is entirely different from constipation.

You should also go for ultrasound imaging study of abdomen.

You should consult with gastro-physician/ physician.

Yes,you have to take treatment otherwise infection may persist for months.

Put your query if you have.

Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from loose bowel movements. Noticed mucus in it. Is there any home treatment? 23 minutes later
No fever, vomiting or nausea
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 19 minutes later

You should go for x XXXXXXX abdomen to see presence of fecolith.

If yes, then go for laxative therapy.

If no, then go for antibiotic therapy.

Blood instool will never occur because of enema, as enema causes liquid stool while blood occurs with hard stool.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank