Suffering from liver disease, coughing up phlegm and feeling like choking. Taking Hyoscomine. Suggest a way to feel comfortable?

My mom has diseased liver end stage now. She is on hospice care, my question why is coughing up so much phlegm like she is choking? Hyoscomine is what I give possibly now going to die? I know it's very close but how can I keep her comfortable

Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Call emergency care physician. She may need ICU.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

As she already have enlarged heart, the possible cause of cough with phlegm may be due to Heart failure or Lower lung and heart for possible cause.

Hyoscyamine is used to treat abdominal muscle cramps and also used to decrease the secretions in stomach. It acts by slowing down the natural movements of smooth and skeletal muscles.

It usually does not cause any major side effects. Its usual side effects are dry mouth, constipation, dry skin, decreased sweating.

Cough with phlegm may also seen in pulmonary edema. Please call your doctor immediately. She may need emergency intensive care.
It may be due to her high blood pressure and enlarged heart.

But if you do not intend to seek medical help as she is in hospice and has end stage liver disease, I would advice you do suctioning of her mouth, throat frequently to clear the phlegm that is forming.

In such case, as a non medical person there is nothing much you could possibly do.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing her soon recovery.