Suffering from liver cirrhosis. On medication. Liver transplantation not suggested. Possibility of stem cell therapy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My uncle is suffering from Liver Corrhosis and has been under medications for more than 2 years. He is 61 year old and doctors don't suggest for Liver transplant. His health is deteriorating day by day. Please provide your opinions what treatments can be provided to keep his health in stable condition. Is there any solution possible through stem cell? kindly suggest.

Thanks,
Vikas
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 hours later

Cirrhosis is an end result of liver injury and the course of treatment is decided by the cause of cirrhosis, duration of cirrhosis and the stage at which it is diagnosed.

Cirrhosis is broadly staged as Child A to C depending on the degree of liver dysfunction.

'Child A' category patients are usually managed medically while liver transplant is offered to 'Child B' & 'Child C' category patients.

Even though early transplant may improve outcome, many a 'Child A' patients do well on medical treatment only. Further other considerations like co-existent illnesses like cardiac / renal and other organ dysfunctions as well as age and performance status of a person influence the candidature for transplantation.

Rest of the management depend on whether he has fluid in abdomen, alteration in his sensorium, coagulopathy, low albumin and any history of bleeding varices.

Stem cell therapy are not yet approved as a treatment in liver cirrhosis. The benefits of stem cell therapy are not yet found.

Discuss about all these parameters with your treating physician and a plan to treat his condition can be formulated.

Hope I provided you with necessary information regarding your query. Should you have any further queries, I will be available to address them

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffering from liver cirrhosis. On medication. Liver transplantation not suggested. Possibility of stem cell therapy? 4 days later
Thank you very much sir, this information is really helpful! I have my uncle's reports , can I send you so that you can guide us better.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Please send me copies of Computerized Tomography (CT) scan / USG (Ultrasound) scan, endoscopy, Liver function tests, Prothrombin Time, INR ( International normalised ratioā€ˇ)and the consultation sheet that has the examination recorded.

Awaiting your response.

Dr Poorna XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffering from liver cirrhosis. On medication. Liver transplantation not suggested. Possibility of stem cell therapy? 24 hours later
Good morning sir and thanks a lot for your response. I have uploaded my uncle's reports, please let me know if any important report is missing here.

My uncle stays in Chhatisgarh, if you suggest we can bring him to Bangalore or any other place.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Vikas

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later

Thanks for mailing the reports.

Based on the reports he appears to be a decompensated liver disease with two probable etiologies - Alcohol probably the main cause and HBV - but is now DNA negative, meaning no active infection.

However as he has no varices, the decompensation may be precipitated and may improve with correction of the precipitant cause.

It would be better to review his fresh LFT, PT, INR, Hemoglobim and ESR, and ultrasound abdomen reports. You may get these test done under guidance of your physician.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffering from liver cirrhosis. On medication. Liver transplantation not suggested. Possibility of stem cell therapy? 14 hours later
Thank you sir! i will get back to you with latest reports.

Thanks again,
Vikas

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

It's good to know my answers were helpful to you.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX