Suffering from leukaemia. Water building in lungs even after chemo therapy. Now on artificial respirator. Advise?

Dear Sir / Mam,
My naani is admitted in XXXXXXX action cancer institute , paschim vihar , new delhi , as she is suffering from C.L.L. type of Leukemia , doctor's told us that her lungs are greatly affected as water is continuously building up in her lungs which is not controlling. Even after one dose of chemo therapy , the water is not stopping. Doctors have punchured the lungs to take out the water building up automatically which is cancerous. She is 69 years old & now placed at ICU ventilator for artificial respiration. Doctors have made every efforts to keep other organs except lungs unaffected & functional after chemo therapy. Her brain is functional but she is a bit unconscious. Please help & advice if something could be done which is missing to save her life. Please help.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

CLL is actually a common leukemia, it is usually accompanied with severe complications and not very good outcomes, especially when discovered late.

I think the treatment or management protocol you described she is being offered to me is of good standard.

Checking regularly her blood levels to systematically always exclude severe anemia common in these patients is advisable. Hope blood cultures and fluid cultures, sensitivity tests have been done to exclude any concomitant complication bacterial infection, pretty common in these patients.

As I earlier mentioned, when at the stage of spread as such, or massive metastasis, these complications are frequent. Its necessary unfortunately for you to understand that, at times, even with the best therapy available as of now, outcomes might not always be very spectacular. Results of improvement might take much time to be noticed, and deterioration which could be fatal is observed a good number of patients.

Thanks and hope I addressed your concerns as I wish you just the best.

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.