Suffering from leg pain and weakness. No relief from painkillers. Is this nerve related problem?

Hello Sir,

My dad is suffering from leg pain from past 1 week.
We approached doctors over here. Initially they said the problem is in Spinal.
Go for MRI scan. Then he said, its not major problem, Please go ahead with the pain killers he prescribed(eftran). After 2 days also the pain is same/more. Then he asked to visit us again and he confirmed that it is not Spinal issue. We approached CARE hosiptal. Spinal doctor over there immediately suggested us to go to Neurologist. We approached him. To know whether its bones/nerves issue, he said my father to walk. He is fine with walking. Then he asked to close and open the leg fingers. Then my father felt a little bit of pain and doctor found weakness in fingers. He also gave PAIN KILLERS, however no change in pain for my father. Could you suggest anything on this. We are unable to diagonise the problem
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 21 hours later
The pain in leg that your father had could be due to spinal/nerve problem or muscle/bone problem. If MRI was done and it was told to be normal then next thing I would like to do is to do a weakness was found in the fingers then i would suspect it to be more likely of a nerve problem.
As far as pain in concerned, he may be tried on alternate and more powerful medication for pain relief. That can be done by either your neurologist or spine specialist.
For knowing the cause of pain, as I said earlier, a nerve conduction study may be helpful.
Additionally orthopedician may want to get x-rays of hip/knee joints because in elderly people joint problems may also be a cause of such leg pain.
I hope that answers your query. If there are more questions, i will be happy to answer.
Good luck.