Suffering from knee surgery. Knee replacement surgery advised. What are the complications associated with the surgery?

My Father is suffering from knee pain since almost 2-3 years.He lives in Guwahati. Lots of doctor visits and various medications taken but apart from temorary relief, nothing else has helped. Few doctors have advised for knee replacement surgery. Now the pain has started in second leg too. Since this is a big operation, we are really worried if surgery is the right way to go. Do you see this case as the one fit for surgery ? What should be the criteria or suffering level for surgery?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 44 minutes later
I will try my best to explain it.
Knee replacement is a major surgery, which is why deciding it's a big decision when deciding whether to have the surgery. Here are some signs to look for to help you decide if the time is right or not right for knee replacement surgery.

Following are the criteria for knee replacement surgery.

You have knee pain that keeps you awake, or awakens you, at night.
You have knee pain which limits activities necessary to go about your daily routine (such as getting up from a chair or climbing stairs).
You have knee pain that limits activities that give you pleasure (such as walking for exercise, traveling or shopping.).
You have tried other treatments for a reasonable period of time, and you still have persistent knee pain.

You and your doctor must consider many other factors prior to surgery, including age, overall health, and bone density. But the list above will give you an idea when you should begin to consider knee replacement surgery.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Please close this query if there is nothing to ask any more.
Best of luck.