Suffering from knee pain while taking stairs and lifting heavy objects. What is the cause?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 28 years old.Since many days i am suffering from pain in both of my knees, while i climb stairs or bend my knees or when i lift something heavy.Actually it first happened when i was carrying some heavy luggage.I applied few ointments.then pain went off.But again it comes intermittently.Again if i apply some ointment like thermagel pain goes off and comes again.Help me.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Slight modifications in your life style can help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You might be suffering from patellar tendinitis or chondromalacia patellae, which causes pain in your knee when you try to climb the stairs or bend your knees. This type of knee pain related to overuse or physical activity. Slight modifications in your life style can help. - Do regular knee exercises (quadriceps and hamstrings). - Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterwards. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings. - Lose weight if you are overweight. Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs. -Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms. -Take diet rich in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals. -Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards