Suffering from knee pain and have ticking sound while sitting and getting up. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor

My Name is XXXXX. I am 39 Years old working as finance professional in XXXXXXX I am presently suffering from Knee pain lightly from past 2 years. When I sit or when I get up from the seat, I can feel some "tick" sound. I am able to walk, I am able to play TT, Cricket and do cycling in Gym. Please advice is there any problem with my knee. Any medication you advice.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Patello-femoral arthritis. Quadriceps strenthening

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in,

It seems you might be suffering from patello-femoral arthritis (early stage). The tick which you are feeling could be nothing but a normal band which connects patella bone with femoral bone. Since you are able to play contact sports including cycling, i think your pain should be very negligible.

I don't think you need any medications at present. Simple quadriceps strengthening exercises can help you a lot. You can try using simple knee cap during sports or while in gym.

If the pain is increasing in frequency or intensity, then i would suggest you to avoid contact sports and consult your doctor. He might examine your knee and might suggest you to go for Xray or a MRI as needed.
Follow-up: Suffering from knee pain and have ticking sound while sitting and getting up. Suggest? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thanks you very much for your reply. It is very helpful.

I am presently 5.4 inches in height. My weight is 74 kgs. I am over weight by around 10 kgs. Whether this is going to effect by Knee problem.

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overweight is a modifiable factor in Arthritis.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, arthritis is basically a mechanical problem. Weight is the prime most important factor, next is activities. These two can be modified or changed. The factor which cannot be modified is aging. So, weight reduction is very important.

Dieting is the prime most, along with upper limb and abdomen exercises. Quadriceps, hamstrings will also increase muscle tone in lower limb. But Swimming is the best exercise.

Good Luck!
Follow-up: Suffering from knee pain and have ticking sound while sitting and getting up. Suggest? 51 minutes later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for your reply.

Please let me know whether Lack of Sleep is going to effect Knee Pain.

I sleep only for 7 hours every day.

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
OA is not related to lack of sleep

Detailed Answer:
Osteo-arthritis is not related to lack of sleep. Patello-femoral arthritis is a kind of osteo-arthritis.

8 hrs of sleep is necessary. Try to relax in between.

Hope i have answered your queries.

Wish you a good health.