Suffering from knee pain. Suggested for knee surgery to place titanium plate. Suggest?

Dear Dr.
My Mother is suffering from severe knee pain on her left knee. While consulting local Dr he has taken a x XXXXXXX and suggested for knee surgery to place some titanium plate . Should I go for the surgery or shall I try some ayurvedic. Also I Hold a GMC Policy if required can it be covered under Medical insurance . Kindly suggest
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 59 minutes later

Knee surgery is the last resort to treat knee pain. However, if your doctor has evaluated her symptoms, clinical findings and radiological test to suggest surgery, then it is likely that she will benefit from it. That being said, you are free to get her examined by a second orthopedician/knee surgeon and then decide. There is no real need to hurry.

If her condition is severe and requires surgery, other forms of treatment including ayurveda may be insufficient. However as I said earlier, there is no real hurry and you are free to try other modalities. Make sure you visit a qualified/competent ayurveda expert.

As far as your medical insurance policy is concerned, I guess if the policy was created before she developed knee pains it should cover the expenses. You can discuss with your insurance agencies and get the confirmation as well as percentage of financial cover you would get.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.