Suffering from knee pain. Could it be a symptoms of DVT?

Hello, I was on a flight yesterday 1.5. hrs with connection 1.5 hrs, short flights. This morning I woke up and the outside of knee is hurting. It feels like a twisted a knee. I know what I slept with my knee is different position last night. However, the thought of DVT always runs through your mind after flying. My calves are fine and there is no swelling. What do you think?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern about your knee pain and the worry whether it could be a symptom of DVT. Your symptoms are NOT indicative of a DVT and so, you you don't have to worry about this. The location of your pain (outer part of the knee), absence of any medical risk factors and absence of any signs or symptoms of DVT are all pointers against the diagnosis of a DVT. Moreover, your flights have been quite short and you have had a break between them also. So, that doesn't really count as a risk factor as well. So, it is very unlikely that your knee pain is due to a DVT.

You must have probably suffered from a ligament strain which is causing you the pain. You can try a mild anti-inflamatory / analgesic medication, hot fermentations and avoid strain to the affected limb for a few days.

Wish you good health.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar