Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from kidney staghorn problem. What is the best treatment?

I am suffering from kidney stag horn problem. Please suggest any best urologists for surgery. I am currently staying in Faridabad.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 24 hours later
Brief Answer: You can try AIIMS in New delhi Detailed Answer: Hi, Most likely you will be requiring to have a procedure called PCNL for this issue of staghorn calculus. This might have to be combined with ESWL or Laser Lithotripsy depending on the anatomy and stone burden. There are several reputed centres in new Delhi. You can try RG Stone Centre for its track record, but if expense is a concern, AIIMS is still the best option. Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Suffering from kidney staghorn problem. What is the best treatment? 10 minutes later
Thanks for your advise ! How critical is this operation, just wanted to know the risk factor. Also can you please provide me your feedback about Asian institute of Medical Science hospital in Faridabad ( Haryana). I got consultation there before but wanted to know if it's good to go there for surgery or not ?
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Brief Answer: The operation is a major surgery, but routinely pe Detailed Answer: Hi again, The operation is a major procedure if it is indeed a staghorn stone, and involves a risk of bleeding and therefore we do not leave it to fresh graduates out of college. There is usually a stay involved of 2-3 days, and the initial couple of days might be painful, especially as you are likely to have a tube hanging out of the back to drain the blood and urine away from the affected kidney. You should take rest from heavy exertion for at least a couple of weeks and start your normal activities once your urine is clear, and your doctor deems it safe. I am not aware of how good or bad is the hospital you have mentioned, as I am from Hyderabad in the South. Therefore, I leave it to your judgement as to where you have to get the surgery performed. One of the best persons in India for this kind of surgery is Dr. XXXXXXX Ahlawat from Delhi. You can find out from other doctors where he is practicing in Delhi, and get his opinion as to which is the ideal center for you, and how critical is the procedure in your case. Glad to have been of help.