Suffering from jaundice. How to control of high level of esr?

Hi I am XXXXXX my ESR level of 41 and i am suffering from jaudince since Nov 2012 and now bilirubin level below 1 but ESR quite hige and HGB 10.1. Please advise me how to control of high level of esr to bring it down.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 34 minutes later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Sir, let me first explain the use of erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) clinically. A high ESR is used to determine some inflammation in the body. This can be anywhere in the body, and will have to be further investigated.

In your case, the raised ESR is obviously due to your liver condition. Jaundice is a symptom of a condition called hepatitis. Which causes inflammation of the liver, and only once the condition is completely treated, the inflammation will subside.

I have gone through your blood results, and it is great to know that your blood parameters are slowly normalizing. Your bilirubin is within the normal range now, so is your SGOT, but your SGPT is still slightly high (normal is between 5-35). But, this is close to normal, and I am sure this will reach the normal range within the next few days.

Now coming to your ESR. Sir, you are in the recovery stage, and if you continue to follow your doctor's advice, you should be fine soon. A raised ESR can only be controlled or brought down by treating the condition, we cannot directly reduce the ESR. Which is why, you will notice that as your liver recovers, it will reduce to its normal size, and at the same time your ESR will also normalize.

Do not worry about this sir. It will soon normalize, I assure you that.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life ahead. I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.